A whole bunch of ski mountaineers describing the same problem in their own words.
It's an interesting decision making process that happens in a group at 5 in the morning about whether to keep climbing onward or not. Had this been a day in our backyard we would have just rolled over and gone back to sleep instead of walking at 2 in the morning in warm temps and rainy weather. After sitting and watching one of the most interesting sunrises I've ever seen, the decision to head down was made. We made the right one, but not the one anyone really wanted to make. We went to breakfast and will leave the objective for another day. @jdking5 @josephbrannan @14erskiers #hshive #goatworthy #liveyours #sunrise @folsomskis @oakleyskiing
We had to walk away from the tempting and rarely filled in north face of Longs Peak today due to warm temps and an approaching storm || The consolation was the most amazing sunrise I've ever witnessed || Might be the last big mission of the season, no more midnight wake ups for me || @jaywsss @josephbrannan @14erskiers #almostoverit
As the saying goes, there are old mountaineers and then there are bold mountaineers. Today, our group of 5 decided to grow old rather than be bold. Our timing was good (12,000' at dawn), but Mother Nature would not give us the weather we needed, or what was even forecasted. And as much as we sometimes wish we could, we cannot fight Mother Nature. So, there the mountain sits, and we will have climb it again someday. And although she shut us down, we can at least be thankful to Nature for bringing us one of the most spectacular sunrises any of us had ever seen. May we have many more sunrises to come 🙂